Thursday, June 20, 2013

Local olive trees being used by local people.

Fremantle has a lot of olive trees. They are tough and a fair few people do get out there and collect the fruit. I have seen old Italian men out in the park with a ladder and a tarp to collect lots of them. 


I collected a bucketful a couple of months back and did the soaking, rinsing rigmarole and then finally bottled them last week. These are from a housing estate near my place. I found out the other day that one of the neighbours up the road has been collecting the olives from the trees along her street and making oil out of them. Hilton Harvest community garden had a community olve oil event last month too, where everyone collected local olives, weighed them, all were taken to a place to be pressed and the people got back their quota.
It may be that soon someone in the local area may buy an olive press for the community to use. That would be easier than having to drive a tonne of olives to Upper Swan or wherever.

It's great to see people making use of local resources.

Now, hopefully, my olives won't be horrible when I get to try them in a couple of months time...

No comments: